Revisit -- Why?
- Things changed -- MOOCs --> OOCs
- And, with one of my student developers leaving, it gives me the opportunity of rethinking of the University Badge system design. People changing is always the time for changes!
Basically, what makes our system unique is that we want to take advantage of the popularity of Badging concept to 'promote and market' our online programs -- yes, it was indeed under the influence of MOOCs. When we looked at the Open and Bb badging systems, they were (are?) lacking of the seamless 'manageability' features for the online program providers. So, the in-house developed Badge system is designed to also provide a tracking and management system for the program owners outside of traditional formal SIS -- by taking advantage of the Badge concept, we are hoping to be able to stay out of being needing to keep grades.
Badges Creation and Issuance -- AutomagicallyBadges are created and issued directly within Learning Management Systems (LMS) thru Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI). Badges and User Identity information are created automatically using the information in the LMS: Course Title, Course ID, User Name, and User Email information.
Wish List:- Issuing Milestone badges- Issuing Badges for NON LMS based Trainings
- Default Badge template with 'realtime' computer generated imprint of Program and Recipient information.
- Allowing uploads of custom designed Badges
Wish List: Issuing Milestone badges; Issuing Badges for NON LMS based Trainings
As you are aware, our system do not provide Milestone based badges as most MOOC only issues badge after completion of the course -- I may be wrong on that, let me know. However, to accomplish Milestones, the program manager can just create a Track with multiple UNITs (aka Bb course shells). That will accommodate the same goal.
Manageability and Reporting
Background: The system intends to provide delegation of badge management (independent and isolated by programs) and database access in the tiered structure of Programs > Tracks > Units hierarchy. A program manager can manage and create tracks to group units (aka Bb course shells) into them. So, the program managers will also be able to run reports of identifying which students have complete what units as well as progress made in Tracks in a simple view. This does not seen to be an available function for the open self-evidence based badge systems; at least, it was not available 6 months ago when we looked.
- Delegation of Badge management and report access. Program manager has access to badge management and reporting features of ALL Tracks and Units under the program. Track Manager has access to ALL management and reporting features of Units.
- Units (aka. LMS course shells)
- Badge Management: badges can be mapped to a branch of Program and Track for delegate access and reporting purpose
- Realtime Lookup VIA a unique code AT badges.learn.fresnostate.edu
- Printable certificate
- Embedding Badge image
- Embedding HTML code
Wish List: Converting the Unicode Code to a QR; Backpack
- Institutional Maintained Data ware house allow Reporting:
- List of Badge recipients
- List of Badge recipients of a Track by Units (online version being implementing)
- List of Badge recipients of a Program by Tracks and Units (online version being implementing)
- Secured database for accreditation
-- This is an information document --