Experience API (xAPI) as known as Tin Can API stores and provides access to information of a person's learning experiences through online or/and offline learning activities.
And the graphical representation from tincanapi.com:The Experience API is a service that allows for statements of experience to be delivered to and stored securely in a Learning Record Store (LRS). -- xAPI Spec (Gihub)
The xAPI enables tracking of learning experiences, including traditional records, such as scores or completion. It also stores records of learners’ actions, like reading an article or watching a training video. The xAPI is designed to support existing SCORM® use cases as well as enabling use cases that were difficult to meet with SCORM, such as mobile training and content that is accessed outside of a web browser. -- adlnet.gov
- ADL (Advanced Distributed Learning) was a result of Presidential Executive Order 13111.
- xAPI Spec https://github.com/adlnet/xAPI-Spec/blob/master/xAPI.md
- LRS (Learning Record Store)
- Data repositories designed to store data records generated by xAPI statements.
- The Experience API (also known as xAPI, or by its original working name of Tin Can API) is a data standard for reporting learning activities.
- xAPI provides a modern standard around data reporting and goes far beyond the information SCORM can provide.
- The advantage to using xAPI is that as more tools adopt the standard, more compatible data can be sent out-of-the-box to your LRS database and reporting systems.